Friday, July 20, 2007

Half Asser

On the drive home from belly dancing class last night, I realized something. I'm not particularly great at any one thing.

I used pride myself on being a Jane of All Trades. "Look at all the stuff I can do?!" But I think a light bulb went off last night that I should maybe focus my attention on just a few things.

Example of my Half Ass-sation:

  • Belly dancing
  • Drawing and painting
  • Blogging
  • Being girly
  • Work
  • Learning to play an instrument
  • Going out to socialize with new people
  • Boys and relationships
  • Home improvement projects
  • Sewing
  • Knitting
  • Snowboarding
  • Keeping in touch with friends
I think I overwhelm myself with such a vast array of things and hobbies that I'm just "meh" with any and all of them.

Maybe it's time to make some cuts...

9 comments:

Scotty said...

Get a boy thats good at home improvement, and you've taken care of 'boys and relationships' and 'home improvement' :)

Behind The Curve said...

Ingenious! Are there lot of those in SD? Maybe I should boy shop there?!

Scotty said...

There is a plethora of them!

Anonymous said...

My mom and I used to argue about this because I would go from music lessons to karate to dancing and she would say, "Can't you just focus on one thing!" And I would argue that I'd rather be good at a lot of things. It wasn't until I came to college that I lightened up my extracurricular load. But only a little :)

teahouse said...

Yeah, I'm sure you could combine a few of those things. For example, snowboard with a bare-midriff shirt, and there's your bellydancing! :oP

Behind The Curve said...

scotty: Maybe someone can give me the tour de hommes...

michelle: My mom and I only argue about of the type of activities. She only endorsed those that involve gentlemen suitors for me. A Tennis Club is on the top of her list. Really?!

thb: Artsy Gal joked about that combination once. Then we thought about how shimmying on a slipper board going downhill would be disastrous. If a fall were to happen, the exposed midriff would be very vulnerable to massive snow burn.

Scotty said...

Of course! But, by plethora... I meant one :)

Behind The Curve said...

I'll have to meet this plethora friend of yours... ;)

Virginia Belle said...

nah. i'm the same way.

you should see me when i go to the library to pick out a book! i might choose from any of the following:

history
biography
hobbies
travel guides
self help
humor
puzzles
ghost stories
pop psychology
photography
fiction
cookbooks

maybe you aren't a half-asser. maybe you're just more interesting! ;)

at least you aren't alone. i'm not super good at anything either.